Spring is the time that we tackle those jobs that don’t form part of a regular cleaning or maintenance routine. Now is the time that the weather starts to get warmer, we start to appear out of hibernation and get those barbies out in the sheer hope that the sun will very soon have his hat on. With the promise of sunlight brings increased energy and renewed hope (makes winter sound depressing but I think by about February we’ve all had enough), plans for weekends out and about visiting local attractions and spending time in the garden. So here are my list of top jobs to tackle to ensure your home stays in tip top condition all through the summer:
1. Clear the gutters
2. Jet wash the patio
3. Wash the curtains/nets
4. Clear out and clean the kitchen cupboards
5. Go through your winter wardrobe and recycle anything you haven’t worn in over a year. Pack up and store ready for next winter.
6. Clean the BBQ thoroughly
7. Paint/varnish external doors
8. Make sure your radiators are free of air and bleed them if not
9. Plan your garden for the coming season
10. Dig out the patio furniture and give it a good clean
I’m sure there are hundreds of things you could add to the list, but to be honest this is enough for anyone. It’s always best of course to ensure you have a regular maintenance plans in place but for many of us it’s enough to keep up with the daily and weekly tasks of running a home. If you can’t fit these things in on a regular basis then plan them in over a number of weekends so that it doesn’t seem so daunting. I like to have a project list and each weekend try a tackle one of them. Even if it’s sorting out 1 drawer in your bureau by doing a little bit often you will soon be on top of everything and have time to actually enjoy your home inside and out.
Image supplied by Ambro